Thursday 27 January 2011

The fundamental guide to the essential salmon & sea trout flies

I am always being asked by clients and other fishing friends, “what flies should I bring with me to Scotland?” Well, there are two aspects to my response. In the first place, I would always recommend that you buy some flies locally, following the advice of your guide or the shopkeeper. There are always local variations or patterns that might fish on one river, but not on another. For example, on the Spey we tend to prefer very sparsely dressed flies, whereas on the Tweed, I would always use a more heavily dressed fly – the pattern might be the same for both rivers, but the way in which it is tied is very different. If you are paying £100 or more for a day on one of the best rivers it is false economy to deny yourself the best possible chance of taking a salmon, all for the sake of the cost of a few flies! And, if you are like me and you want that added pleasure of taking a fish on one of your own flies, then use the shop-bought fly as a model and tie some up for yourself.

The second part of my response would follow the principal of “keep it simple!” I now maintain three large boxes of flies; one for sea trout and two for salmon. I used to have a vast array of every pattern under the sun, but not now. Instead, I have a full range of sizes and a range of slight variations of just 3 sea trout flies and 7 salmon flies. Most are tied on both tubes and doubles – I very rarely use trebles any more. Depending on the season and the prevailing conditions of light, water height, air temperature and water temperature, I will select a restricted selection of flies to carry in one or two small boxes – leaving in the car the big boxes and the temptation to change flies every ten minutes. So, here are the patterns from which I will choose;

Sea Trout


Silver Stoat (especially this variation tied with a fluorescent green,silver-ribbed body)
Teal Blue & Silver
Dark Mackerel

Salmon
(Although I list these flies according to the season during which I use them most, they are generally good for any time of the year)

For the spring


Tosh (or anything black and yellow!)

For the summer


Ally’s Shrimp
Silver Stoat
Sunray Shadow

For the autumn


Cascade
Red and Black Francis
Temple Dog


Tight lines!

1 comment: