Tuesday 21 December 2010

Which are the best lochs for brown trout fishing in Scotland?

I think that it is generally agreed that the best rivers for brown trout fishing in Scotland are; Tweed, Spey, (parts of Tay), Annan and of course the Don. But which are the best lochs for wild brown trout?

In the past – perhaps 30 or 50 years ago – there were very good lochs throughout all parts of Scotland where you could expect to take many good trout with every visit. However, today most of the lochs in the central region of Scotland are populated almost exclusively with rainbow trout. Although I have had some great days on lakes like Menteith, Butterstone, Glencorse and Frandy, I am not a fan of rainbow trout. The fact that these fish are not indigenous to Scotland and that they are artificially fed in their developing years, detracts from their appeal. For me, I want to catch totally natural, wild fish - the size of the fish is not so important. It means much more to me to know that I have made a fly and put it onto the water with sufficient skill to deceive a naturally feeding wild fish.

So, today you must go north if you want to find the best still water fly fishing for wild brown trout. These are my recommendations;

Loch Leven

Loch Assynt and the lakes of limestone above Inchnadamph

The lakes of limestone in Cape Wrath – in particular; caladail and borralie

The lakes of Orkney – in particular; Harray, Boardhouse and Swanney

Certainly there are thousands of other lakes throughout Scotland where you can find very good sport, but in my opinion, if you want to find the best, you must be prepared to travel. Click here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment